Team Honduras

Monday, June 10, 2013

Mother/Daughter Banquet

  
   
  A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to speak at our ladies meeting. I was very nervous and a wee bit scared because this would be the first time that I would get up in front of a group and speak....and in Spanish. Before, I use to think that getting up and speaking in front of people was hard....but that is nothing compared to trying to share your heart when it is in another language. All of your thoughts, passions and memories are in your first tongue. Not everything is easily translated. As I began to prepare the lesson the Lord really laid on my heart 7 things the Bible says a Christian mom should be. As I studied I reflected on my life, how my children look at me and how others see the kind of women that I am. I also wanted to convey God's truths and share the do's and don'ts but I did not want it to come across harsh.  That night as we filed in to the church there were around 80 people there (mothers and daughters). WOW! What was I thinking.......this was a huge group of ladies. I knew we were in for something special with the way the events started that night. First, right before the ladies arrived we were lighting candles on the tables when all of a sudden I noticed a flame. The fan had blown a silk flower into the candle and it had caught on fire. Then, the caterers were late causing me to do my warm up mother quiz early. Then, just as it is my turn to get up and speak it starts to rain. Boy, the devil was on it. See, here when it rains it makes it very hard to hear because it beats on the tin roof. Thankfully, the Lord knew...HE had a plan and HE was able to use a broken and unworthy vessel to help touch the lives of many women that night. I was so encouraged as I saw mothers with tears in their eyes and then later came up to me to thank me for the lesson. I am so glad that I did not let my fear of making a mistake, stumbling through a language or just a the fact the church was full keep me from sharing what God had laid on my heart. So, I am writing this to share with all women, mother's and mother's to be what God expects out of a Christian mom. I hope that you are all blessed and touched the way that I was when reading this. For the sake of time and space I will not write out each verse but I do encourage you to look them up and write them down yourselves.

7 Commandments that God Gives Every Christian Mother:

1. Availability: every mother is to be available to her family morning, noon and night.
Deuteronomy 6:6-7

2. Involvement: a mother should interact with her children, discussing, thinking processing and reflecting life together. In other words you should know your children. What they like, what they don't like, who their friends are. etc.
Ephesians 6:4

3. Teaching: a mother should teach her children the bible, scriptures, truths and moral standards and how to have a biblical worldview. Mother's don't leave this up to the school or you will be doomed my friend.
Psalm78:5-6. Deuteronomy 4:10, Eph. 6:4

4. Training: A mother should help her child develop skills and discover his or her strengths and weaknesses. A mother should allow her children to be a shadow learning the things that they will need once they are on their own.
Romans 12:3-8, I Corinthians 12

5. Discipline: a mother will discipline her children according to the bible. She will teach them to fear the Lord, drawing a line of consistent discipline and doing it  lovingly yet firmly.
Eph. 6:4, Hebrews 12:5-11, Proverbs 13:24, 19:18, 22:15, 23:13-14, 29:15-17

6. Nurture: a mother should provide an atmosphere of constant verbal encouragement and support, freedom to fail without persecution, acceptance, affection and unconditional love.
Titus 2:4, 2 Timothy1:7, Ephesians 4:29-32, 5:1-2, Galatians 5:22, 1 Peter 3:8-9

7. Modeling with Integrity: Living what you say, being a role from which your child will see your godly example and will want to follow. Do what you say and say what you do. Do not expect your children to do more than you do. Example: if you don't get up on time to go to church and you don't read your bible....don't expect your children to do it either.
Deuteronomy 4: 9, 15, and 23, Proverbs 10:9, 11;3 and Psalm 37: 18 and 37

The bible never states that every women should be a mom. But if God gives you this opportunity you need to take advantage of it and realize that you have been given a special gift. My question for you all is how do you want your children to remember you. Do you want them to remember the worldly mom or a godly mom?

2 comments:

  1. Love the picture of you and the girls! What wonderful lessons you shared - so glad you allowed God to use you to encourage and bless all those women and girls!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tracey- you are an encouragement to me with your girls and by some of the things that you post...:)

    ReplyDelete