Team Honduras

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Not a Typical Day After All.......

Thursday morning we woke up like normal and got the kids started on their homeschooling.  At 10 we were headed with the Massey's to San Pedro for a day at a new store, Pricesmart and then out to lunch. We headed off and got to check out Honduras' version of a Wal-Mart. Afterward, we went to Pricesmart to prepare for the upcoming arrival of Micah who would be born by c-section on Tuesday or Wednesday. We knew that Mark's parents would be coming in and we wanted to get the fridge and freezer stocked. We headed one way and the Massey's headed the other way. We did our shopping and I started feeling bad...not sure if it was just tiredness or weakness because we had not eaten lunch yet. We headed to El Progresso to grab lunch and then go to the house since we had all of our groceries. After grabbing some burgers we headed home.

Then, something that we had heard all about but had not yet experienced happened. Guess what....we were pulled over by a policeman. After using some mangled Spanish we were able to drive away. However, the whole event was stressful. See, the Police here often pull people over ....especial Americans for money. Once you pay you become a TARGET. Luckily, between the 2 of us we were able to use enough Spanish to either frustrate him or make him realize that we were not gonna pay.

We left with our heads in a whirl and headed home to eat and put away our groceries. We were not home long before Mark needed to go and meet with Jose from church who is helping us with some of the materials for the building. Also, the plumbing in the kitchen started to act up so we were going to go see if we could find someone to fix it. Alex was not available so after talkign with Jose we headed for home. I told Mark that I was not feeling good and we headed back home. From that point on I started having contractions and constant pain.  Also, to our surprise our phone services had both went out. So, there was no phone in the house and the cell phone minutes were out.

We drove Josiah to the Massey's and left Hunter and Taylor at home and headed back to San Pedro to the hospital. Which is about 30-45 minutes away depending on traffic. Which by the way at this hour was cRaZy!!!! We had just made our turn to exit and go to the hospital when the truck started to act funny. What in the world was the devil doing to us today??

Luckly, Nathan was able to call my doctor and let him know that we were on our way to the hospital. Once we arrived we were greeted by doctor Abud. He is such a sweet man and what a wonderful encouragement to me as he also spoke English.  He began to examine me and advised that I had not dialted but Micah's heart rate was low and we were gonna go ahead with a c-section tonight. With tears in my eyes, the nurses started to get me ready for the operating room. Mark had gone to check in me into the hospital and I did not even get to pray with him before they started to wheel me down the hall. I was nervous.....okay that is a lie.....I was scared to death....I know enough Spanish to do the things that I need to do but I don't know any medical terms, nor have I ever had a c-section before. I started to think about the message that Brother Nathan had just preached the night before....PRAY WITHOUT CEASING!!!!!.....(thanks Brother Nathan for that message)(It is true that God gives you just what you need ...when you need it and he uses other people to deliver) I began to pray, I prayed in English and in Spanish. I prayed for my nerves, for Micah, I prayed that there would be someone to help me in the absence of my husband as I ventured on new territory. The doctors began to come in and one of my nurses who came in, who was also in charge of anesthesia spoke English. There was one answered prayer already. Second, Dr Jaar came in who I can understand but have some trouble was there and advised that Doctor Abud would be coming in to assist with the delivery. This was also another answered prayer...he speaks very good Englsih and just has a way of making you feel at ease. (but he had also recenlty retired form "OB"). When doctor Abud walked in he grabbed my hand and and advised me that Mark was on his way down and that he could stay with me. Yet, another prayer that had been prayed and answered. Mark entered and sat down at my head, I thought all about how this was going to pictures to have as keepsakes to welcome little Micah into the world, but as Mark sat down I saw the camera in his hand. God is so GOOD, not just some of the time but all of the time.

It was not long before the doctor started to perform the c-section and we were able to see our new little man that we had been waiting for. The doctor pulled him out and we heard him cry. We were overwhelmed with tears of joy.  After, the doctor had asked if I had, had any prior surgery before. We explained that I had my tubes tied and reveresed. He was astonished. He could not believe his eyes. He basically said "this boy is a miracle" (which we already knew) But he kept wanting Mark to see that the tube was like a thin piece of silk. He called Mark to look 4-5 times ...just because he could not believe that he made it through. We knew it was all GOD. Thursday night at 7:15 we added baby Micah to our family, weighing in at 7lbs 7oz and 20.5 inches long. Thank You Lord we are now a family of 6.


  1. He is a precious miracle and yes....that is all God:) Love you sweet girl and I'm so proud of you!

  2. I'm so happy for you guys! Love the last paragraph - God definitely granted the desire of your heart and allowed you to "see" that your children are, undoubtedly, gifts from Him. What a blessing!

  3. So happy to read your story! Glad that Micah is here, and like you said we already knew what a miracle he was! Many prayers!

  4. It is so wonderful to be able to look back & see God's hand on our lives. What a wonderful day full of His provisions. And the added blessing of being shown with your eyes what you had the Faith to believe!!! God is Good!

  5. What an awesome testimony of an awesome God! He truly is good all the time. Lately God has been answering prayers I haven't even thought to pray or didn't know to pray for. I love it when He does that! I call them "Lazarus blessings" because God raised Lazarus from the dead without anyone asking Him too. He just did it to show His glory and His grace! Thank you, Lord, for all you do in our lives even when we are unaware!